On the lookout for a quick and easy recipe that is full of flavor and your family will love? This easy leek recipe will satisfy your family as a main dish or as a side.
Life is busy and not all of us have time to stand in the kitchen for hours preparing a meal. Finding quick and easy recipes is important. Making sure we feed our family healthy real food recipes is also important to us.
I have been noticing leeks in the grocery store recently. I love the sweet, oniony flavor of them so trying to incorporate them in our menu. Leeks are in season in the Spring and in the Winter. Knowing that eating seasonally is better for my family, I do my best to add seasonal ingredients.
EASY LEEK RECIPE WITH CORN AND BEANS
Cooking leeks is very easy. They are somewhat tender and don’t take much time to cook. I will warn you – there is a lot of dirt between those leaves. I think they are dirt magnets! You’ll want to make sure you wash them and rinse them well.
How to clean leeks when making this easy leek recipe:
- Rinse and dry
- Remove the dark green piece and discard, compost, or save for homemade stock
- Thinly slice into rings
- Place rings into cold water for a few minutes
- Rinse well in colander
This healthy leek recipe is great as a vegetarian meal or with any type of protein. My family and I try to eat a few meatless dinners a week. The cannelloni beans in this dish add the protein we need to be full and satisfied at the end of the meal.
- 1 large leek
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz) can of cannelloni beans (rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Melt the butter in the pan then add the leaks and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook another minute.
- Add the beans, salt, pepper and thyme and cook another 2 minutes or until hot.
- Place in a serving dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired
When looking for leeks in the grocery store or farmers market, you want to pick those that are about 1 inch around and have bright green leaves. Leeks are high in vitamins A and C and are low in calories.
If you are looking for more vegetable recipes that are quick, easy and delicious, check these out: