Gut health is something that has gained popularity lately. It’s nothing new, it’s just more popular right now. I’m sure you’ve seen it around! Remember it’s important to do your own research on things like gut health. My husband and I have been doing a lot of traveling lately. It got me thinking about gut health and traveling, so it made me want to chat about it!
A lot of people think traveling immediately means constipation, but it doesn’t have to be! Now that I’m aware of my gut health, I travel just fine.
Hippocrates says “all diseases start in the gut.” Today we’re finding more and more that that is true. There is a connection between gut health and mental health.
This blog post is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any illness or disease. You always want to consult your healthcare professional and inform him or her when you’re making changes to your lifestyle pertaining to your health.
You may have heard of something called “leaky gut syndrome.” Some of the symptoms of leaky gut are:
- Feeling bloated
- Sensitivity to certain foods
- Joint pain
- Skin issues
- Digestive problems
- Weight gain
Bacteria is another hot topic pertaining to gut health. We have good and bad bacteria in our gut, and when we attack the bad bacteria, we lose some of the good bacteria. We need to get rid of the bacteria in a way that is sustainable.
Why are we having gut health issues?
- Poor nutrition (eat less crap, eat more food)
- Exposure to heavy metals and environmental toxins
- Some modern medicine
What can we do about gut health issues?
- Do our research!
- The GAPS diet – removing foods that are hard to digest.
- Nourishing Traditions
- Removing inflammation causing foods: yeast, gluten, sugar, dairy, food additives.
- Replace them with food that will help heal: bone broth! You can make it yourself or buy it.
- Raw cultured yogurt
- Fermented vegetables
- Research the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15.
Related Podcast Episodes
- Round Butts, Flat Guts
- Constipation: Are You Full of It?
- Sex & Sleep – How to get More of Both
- Reading Food Labels and Eating Less Crap and more Food