ONCE AGAIN I’ve underestimated the amount of time all of my errands, emails, phone calls, home to do’s, etc. would take and found myself scrambling to leave my family some sort of edible substance before I headed out the door to a dinner for Mercy House (You see, this is where the balancing part of family, work, life and passion comes into play).
I want to have MY OWN hobbies and support things I’m passionate about and need to make sure my wife and mom role isn’t neglected. Notice I didn’t say make sure my roles are complete or perfect because, well, that would just be a lie. ?
Soo, here’s my “less than clean but waaay better than take out” Quick-cook Chili with Cornbread Recipe.
This recipe took me 17 minutes from the moment I decided to make it to its warm and comfy completion.
- Ground Beef (I use grass-fed)
- Chili Mix (I don’t normally use this brand but it was all the store had at the time)
- 1 can Kidney Beans (undrained)
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes (undrained)
- Cornbread (I usually make my own in a skillet and it’s YUM-MY but tonight it’s grab and go)
- Toppings: Shredded Cheese & Sour Cream
1. Brown meat in large skillet and drain.
2. Mix in chili seasoning, tomatoes, and beans.
3. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Let it sit for a few minutes then serve in a big bowl and top with cheese, sour cream, and crumbled cornbread.
Now, you may be wondering why in the world I posted this recipe when I didn’t use all of the cleanest ingredients. I’ve come a LONG way from the S.A.D. or Standard American Diet, but I’m still a busy working woman and mom trying to make do from time to time with what I have on hand. Remember, made at home where you control the ingredients is better even when it’s not 100% unprocessed.
I hope this will inspire you to whip up a “less than perfect” meal at home instead of eating out or grabbing fast food when you’re in a hurry.
What’s your favorite go to recipe when you’re short on time?